Monday, March 24, 2014

Pyrotechnically Speaking (Getting to know your pyrotechnicians at Archangel Fireworks) Pt.5


Happy Monday everyone.  

While most of Canada is celebrating the arrival of spring Winnipeg is still stuck fast in winters icy grasp.  But we Manitobans are a hardy bunch, not afraid of a little cold weather (or maybe a LOT of cold weather) despite the amount we enjoy complaining about it.

 Summer is coming, eventually, and we are busy preparing.  Just this morning a shipment of new consumer fireworks arrived at our retail location and are cheerfully brightening the shelves and making the staff excited about the upcoming season.

Check our facebook page to be informed of new product arrivals as well as upcoming shows and events.

Speaking of shows, here is the question of the day!

Question # 5: What is the best show you have ever seen?  What made it special?


James:  I saw a competition where Team China had put together a hybrid show.  It involved traditional fireworks, remote control ‘birds’ with pyro effects attached to them, and a great addition of a laser light show.  It was truly awesome to behold.  A great visual experience.

Leiah:  A fireworks festival in Saskatoon. It wasn't the biggest budget or the largest shells but it was my favorite show. I think part of it for me is that Saskatoon is my hometown, so it was nice to go back there and put something awesome in the sky.   It was very intricate with 21 positions and a restricted shell size meant there was lots of creative work done with one shots and cakes and candles.  Everything just came together so perfectly.  I also loved that the speaker stack was pointed right at the firing panel, so I could hear the track while the show was firing, the crew and I danced the whole way through.

Ross:  Best show I’ve even seen is probably the 2010 L'International des Feux Loto-Québec show in Montreal by Team Canada. Watch This Show Here! Simply awesome. I was on the team, had worked on it for months, and then spent 5 days onsite getting it ready. Things went pretty smooth, and the show was amazing. It won the Gold Jupiter that year, and People’s Choice award.
All that hard work and the nervousness before show paid off. The updated firing booth at La Ronde made it even more special as all 10 team members and a few of the local crew were all together to watch things unfold.

Adam: Lots more to come, so I’m sure I haven’t seen it yet.

Candice: 2011, when Archangel Fireworks Inc. represented team Canada at the Celebration of Light in Vancouver.
The first fireworks memory I have is watching that same competition in Vancouver in 2000. I remember thinking to myself that the warning shell was better than any finale I had ever seen in Winnipeg. Being able to watch my company compete there with a show that I helped work on was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life to date. The show was incredible and the experience was overwhelming. Hearing a crowd of 300 thousand people cheer following the show was something I will never forget.

Kelly:  BC place closing rooftop at the 2010 olympics in Vancouver.  It was the end of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver


Do you have a question for the crew?  Is there something that you would like to know about what it's like to be a pyrotechnician? Send your questions to info@archangelfireworks.com

No comments: